for genealogical historical research
Our research library contains a vast amount of genealogical and historical information pertaining primarily, but not limited, to Annapolis County families as well as a large assortment of historical information on local areas.
Sources available (not a complete list):
- Family files
- Obituaries- various
- Photographic collection – local people and scenes
- Scrapbooks of local interest stories
- Church registers- various
- Cemetery inscriptions
- Robert L. Hall Funeral home records, Bridgetown, NS (1907-1975)
- Township Books, Annapolis & Kings County
- Vital Statistics, Annapolis, Kings, Digby & Lunenburg Counties
- Census Records 1838-1901 Annapolis County
- Library of Local History
- Land grants- various
- Annapolis County Probate records – abstracts 1763-1938
- Annapolis County School records
- Local newspapers: Middleton Outlook/Mirror-Examiner 1901-present (indexed from 1901-1925)
- Bridgetown Monitor 1876-1902
Policy for Use of Archival and Image Reproductions
Some materials from the Annapolis Valley Macdonald Museum collections may be reproduced for use in publications, websites, displays, interior decorating, advertisements, retail products or film and television productions. The Annapolis Valley Macdonald Museum reserves the right to determine what and how materials within its care can be used and levy fees for such usage.
- Order Form: Clients must begin by submitting a Reproduction Order Form detailing their contact information, the material(s) they would like to reproduce, the intended usage of the materials and any other relevant information.
Conditions of Usage Agreement
- Clients wishing to use reproductions obtained from the Annapolis Valley Macdonald Museum are required to complete a Conditions of Use Agreement.
- The Annapolis Valley Macdonald Museum shall review the request and will then notify the client of its decision to grant permission to the request or will provide a statement of refusal with the reasons for its decision.
- Clients should allow for two (2) weeks for the processing and completion of their request and be aware that delays may incur for large order requests.
- A non-refundable deposit of at least 50% of the total order cost is due at the time of placement.
- The remaining balance must be paid upon pick-up of order or prior to the shipping of the reproduced materials to the client.
- The Annapolis Valley Macdonald Museum accepts cash and VISA. Personal cheques shall be accepted only at the Museum’s discretion.
- It is the responsibility of the individual or organization identified under CLIENT NAME on all Reproduction Order Forms to pay all fees, regardless of whom they represent or act on behalf of.
- Shipping costs are the responsibility of the client and cannot be determined until pick-up of order.
- Unless specified, the Annapolis Valley Macdonald Museum will use their regular courier services for the shipping of orders to the client.\
- Any specific shipping details must be detailed on the Reproduction Order Form at time of order.
Any applications for the reproduction of museum archival or photographic materials that have specific time restrictions will be assessed as a Rush Order. The details of this consideration should be noted on the Reproduction Order Form and the museum staff will assess as to whether it is possible to reproduce the order within the given time requirement.
If a Rush Order is assessed to be possible, an additional $10.00 shall be charged to the order.
The Annapolis Valley Macdonald Museum reserves the right to revise and change this policy when it deems necessary
Conditions of Use Agreement
Permission to use
- All requests to reproduce items from the holdings of the Annapolis Valley Macdonald Museum must be submitted on a Reproduction Order Form.
- By signing a Conditions of Use Agreement, the Client agrees to abide by all terms, conditions and provisions stated therein.
- The Annapolis Valley Macdonald Museum reserves the right to refuse any reproduction request.
- Reproductions supplied by the Annapolis Valley Macdonald Museum cannot be reproduced, scanned, transmitted, sold, loaned, exhibited, deposited in another repository, or otherwise used for any other purpose than that specified in this Agreement and other associated documents.
- Approved use is non-exclusive and for one time only (one time, one format, under one title). Permission to use terminates immediately upon publication of the specified product. Any subsequent use constitutes re-use and must be applied for. Fees will once again be levied.
- Reproductions are subject to Canadian Copyright Law.
- The Client assumes all responsibility for obtaining Copyright clearance and reproduction rights and will be solely responsible for any infringement of copyright that may arise in the use of the requested reproductions.
- The Annapolis Valley Macdonald Museum reserves the right to require written permission from individuals, families or their heirs when privacy of that individual or family might be violated by the reproduction of materials from its collections.
- Use of an image of an identifiable individual in a manner that suggests association with or endorsement of a product, service or agency is prohibited.
Documentation & Credit
- The Client is responsible for obtaining all descriptive information related to the reproductions requested.
- A credit line including the Museum’s name must accompany all reproduced materials, displayed or used in any format or medium and, if applicable, must include a photographer’s credit if available.
- The Credit line must be placed in proximity to the reproduced material(s) or in a dedicated credits section. Electronic reproductions must include a credit line and caption as part of the image.
- Payment does not exempt clients from credit requirements.
- The Annapolis Valley Macdonald Museum is a non-government, non-profit organization and must charge Museum Use Fees to sustain its collection and programs. Museum Use Fees are in addition to any costs associated with the request.
- Publication/Use fees for print/electronic publication and display purposes are for one-time only, non-exclusive use for a five (5) year period.
- Subsequent print editions require renewal of this agreement. Publication/Use Fees for public/commercial broadcasting purposes are for one time only non-exclusive use, with unlimited plays over a five (5) year period.
- It is the responsibility of the individual or organization identified under CLIENT NAME on the Reproduction Order Form to pay all fees, regardless of whom they represent or act on the behalf of.
- Requests for invoicing must be approved by the Museum Director or Librarian prior to publication.
- A 50% non-refundable deposit of the total request cost is required from the Client before production is undertaken. The remaining 50% of the total request cost plus associated costs are required before the materials can be released to the Client.
Gratis Production Requirement
- The Client agrees to deliver and supply the Annapolis Valley Macdonald Museum one (1) copy of the resulting publication or sample of the product at no cost within one (1) year of the publication’s or product’s release.